2017 Flashback

It’s that time again that I get to sit down and write my favourite post of the year; it feels like only yesterday I wrote my 2016 flashback!

2017 was a really exciting year for James and I, we celebrated one year, went on our first holiday and moved in together! One year, eh? Our anniversary is valentines day – cute, I know – and so we decided to spend it going out for a nice meal followed by the cinema to watch 50 Shades Darker, because what else is a girl going to watch on valentines day? We all have our faults, but faults aside, James is a pretty great person to spend my life with. He just makes me laugh which is all I can ask for.

 For our first holiday we chose Lanzarote and it was so good. It was a complete break from life and I cannot explain how nice it was to just have a week together, with no responsibility, no stress and no one else around. Everything about the trip was plain sailing and perfect and is a huge highlight of the year.
James and I also moved in together, we have our own little house and I love it. I could put the Christmas tree up as early as I wanted to (November), I can do the washing up when I want to, all in all its just great. It felt like the right step for our relationship and came and the right time. I just enjoyed getting to decorate our little place as we (I) wanted to. Plus, it’s pretty great always having someone to come home to.


One thing I wanted to do in 2017 was become more independent and this was tested with a trip I needed to do for work. Although I quit my job this year – which I did a whole post about to explain why – I had to take a trip to do some training. This entailed me getting a train by myself for the first time ever, staying in a hotel alone for 4 days and completing training with people from across the south which I had never met before. Hopefully it’s not just me that would find that thought scary. For some reason over the last few years I seem to have had my confidence knocked and I just have no belief in myself and as a result I find it difficult to do things by myself. The train journey itself was full of anxiety and worry but it soon started to ease as I realised I was more than capable of doing things by myself, I just need to worry less. It turns out spending 4 days in a hotel by yourself is great and something I would 100% recommend at some point. Worrying less is something I really want to continue working on next year, I’m not quite where I want to be yet but I’m getting there.

I also did a trip with uni this year – which feels like a million years ago now – traveling across Europe visiting a couple of EU/legal institutions such as the European Commission and the European Court if Human Rights. This trip was one of the best things I’ve done in my life, again anxiety had me so worried that I almost paid a lot of money to withdraw from the trip but I persevered and I’m so glad I went. Multiple hours on a coach became multiple hours playing card games, free evenings became exploring foreign cities – Bruges was my favourite – and visiting these huge institutions was an honour as a law student. It is something I will never forget.

I’ve formed some hugely significant friendships this year, and I can’t quite remember how my life was before I had them. I’ve spent some really lovely time with my family, for example exploring Christmas markets with my Nanny, it’s been lovely. That being said, it doesn’t mean 2017 hasn’t had its challenged. The post about quitting my job is a little insight into the parts of the year which have been turbulent, but as a whole, after quitting my job my life has become a lot less stressful and I’m learning to take things as they come and not stress as much.

So, all in all, 2017 was a good year. A lot of really important life changes happened this year and I wouldn’t have done anything differently if I had the choice. 


Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram